The Minnesota State Building and Construction Trades Council is the advocate voice for unionized construction workers in Minnesota. Fifty thousand members strong, the Minnesota Building Trades has provided leadership and advocacy for construction workers in Minnesota for 60 years.
The Building Trades Council is chartered by the Building & Construction Trades Department of the National AFL-CIO. The MN State Building Trades Council provides leadership through direction and cooperation from 10 regional councils.
The MN State Building Trades Council and its affiliates' mission is to:
- Promote the growth and development of all building & construction trade unions. Foster and develop the organization of building & construction tradesmen and women on traditional trade or craft lines.
- Develop and advance apprenticeship training through cooperation with federal and state agencies. Support local union JATC's through apprenticeship advocacy throughout the state.
- Promote and develop safe work practices in the construction industry. Develop and implement current safety training programs industry wide.
- Negotiate project based labor agreements.
- Promote and develop strong, fair and meaningful labor management cooperatives.
- Assist and cooperate with the AFL-CIO in the fight for work place justice.
- Participate in legislative activities that promote and protect building & construction trades unions and their members.
- Promote the industry for the advancement of all affiliates and their members.